WEST COLUMBIA, SC -- Under order of South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster, Lexington Two schools and administrative offices will remain closed through the end of the academic year as a step to help prevent the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19). But that just means the buildings are closed -- teaching and learning are continuing with our eLearning program, which allows students to continue their lessons remotely.
Extracurricular activities, athletics practices and games, after-school and child care programs, adult education, field trips and all other events are canceled until further notice. There will be no staff or student travel during this time.
Employees are receiving information through their schools. Below are other important details for families.
- We are using eLearning to continue remote lessons with students. As a reminder, there are eLearning resources posted on our district website, www.lex2.org, and you may receive additional information from your child’s school. If you are having tech issues, our help desk is open 9am-4:30pm Monday-Friday: (803) 603-3712.
- For families without internet access, Spectrum is offering free 60-day internet service for a limited time to help K-12 students affected by coronavirus school closures. Call (844) 488-8395. We also have Wi-Fi buses going into the community, along with other suggestions to get Wi-Fi listed here: bit.ly/2WiHebP
- While learning is continuing, it is important for parents to emphasize to children the need to keep up with the work each day, or they will get too far behind. Students will have the opportunity to get all necessary work for promotion and/or graduation.
- Students who have a Section 504 Accommodations Plan will receive accommodations as applicable.
- Lexington Two also will provide breakfasts and lunches during the coronavirus school closure to any child 18 and under who needs one (child must be present to pick up meals or adult must present student's school ID as proof of eligibility). We have four school sites open 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Monday-Friday, as well as buses that deliver along select routes in the district. The full schedule is listed here: bit.ly/2vovREf .
The regular schedule of meetings for the Board of Trustees is expected to continue as outlined in board policy, on the third Thursday monthly. The Board is temporarily suspending all recognitions and public comment/participation during meetings until further notice, to keep students, employees and community members safe. We also are allowing non-essential staff and cabinet members to submit written reports rather than appear in person, as an option. Board meetings during school closures are open/public, but may be offered by teleconferencing, video-conferencing, live-stream or other electronic method. Announcements will include such details.
The safety of our students, families and employees is our top priority. We will have additional information to share in coming days, so please look for communications from your schools, websites and social media. This is uncharted territory for us -- students, families, teachers, staff, administrators -- and we will get through it all together.
NOTE: A Spanish-language translation is available with this story.
RELATED: Find health resources about coronavirus by clicking here.